Ashwagandha, also known as Withania somnifera or Indian ginseng, is a potent adaptogenic herb that has been used for centuries in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. In recent years, the popularity of Ashwagandha has soared, with its extracts making their way into various forms, including Ashwagandha teas, capsules, powders, and now, Ashwagandha gummies. But what is it about this incredible herb that has captured the attention of health-conscious individuals and researchers alike? In this blog post, we'll delve into the numerous benefits and uses of Ashwagandha.
Ashwagandha is a small shrub native to the dry regions of India, the Middle East, and parts of Africa. Its roots and berries are the parts traditionally used for their medicinal properties. The name "Ashwagandha" is derived from the Sanskrit words "ashva," meaning horse, and "gandha," meaning smell. This is because the root is said to have a horse-like odor and is believed to provide the strength and vitality of a horse.
Key Benefits of Ashwagandha
1. Adaptogenic Properties: Ashwagandha is classified as an adaptogen, a group of herbs that help the body adapt to stress and maintain balance. Research suggests that it may help reduce the body's cortisol levels, the primary stress hormone, promoting a sense of calm and relaxation. A 2012 double-blind, placebo-controlled study found that a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of Ashwagandha root effectively reduced stress and anxiety in adults.
2. Cognitive Function: Some studies have shown that ashwagandha may improve cognitive function, memory, and attention span. It is believed to support the central nervous system, which plays a crucial role in mental acuity. A 2017 study published in the Journal of Dietary Supplements demonstrated the efficacy and safety of Ashwagandha root extract in improving memory and cognitive functions.
3. Immune System Support: Ashwagandha contains compounds that support the immune system, helping the body defend itself against various infections and diseases. A review published in the journal Alternative Medicine Review highlighted the scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera, Ashwagandha's botanical name, in supporting the immune system.
4. Energy and Vitality: Traditionally, Ashwagandha has been used to increase energy and vitality. It may help improve physical endurance and reduce fatigue, making it popular among athletes. In a 2015 study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, researchers found that Ashwagandha supplementation improved muscle strength and recovery.
5. Sexual Health: Research has also suggested that Ashwagandha can positively influence sexual health. It is believed to enhance libido, improve sexual performance, and support healthy testosterone levels in men. A 2013 study published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine demonstrated that Ashwagandha root extract significantly improved semen parameters and hormone levels in infertile men.
Ashwagandha Gummies: A Modern Twist on an Ancient Herb
Our Ashwagandha Gummies offer a tasty and convenient way to incorporate this herbal powerhouse into your daily routine. Packed with 3,000mg of Ashwagandha per serving, our Ashwagandha Gummies have a delicious Apple flavour so you'll truly enjoy taking them. Our Ashwagandha Gummies also include Vitamin B6 which supports energy-yielding metabolism, psychological function and hormone regulation, whilst helping to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
So, if you're curious about Ashwagandha and its benefits, consider giving Ashwagandha Gummies a try. Your mind and body may thank you for it.
 Chandrasekhar, K., Kapoor, J., & Anishetty, S. (2012). A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 34(3), 255–262.
 Choudhary, D., Bhattacharyya, S., & Bose, S. (2017). Efficacy and safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root extract in improving memory and cognitive functions. Journal of Dietary Supplements, 14(6), 599-612.
 Wankhede, S., Langade, D., Joshi, K., Sinha, S. R., & Bhattacharyya, S. (2015). Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 12(1), 43.
 Mishra, L. C., Singh, B. B., & Dagenais, S. (2000). Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera (ashwagandha): A review. Alternative Medicine Review, 5(4), 334-346.
 Ahmad, M. K., Mahdi, A. A., Shukla, K. K., et al. (2013). Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductive hormone levels and oxidative stress in seminal plasma of infertile males. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013, 571420.